Driving and delivery directions

Detailed driving instructions for deliveries to the entrance and loading dock of Elmer L. Andersen Library

GPS systems can sometimes give incorrect directions for our location (222  21st Avenue South, Minneapolis), so if you are driving to Andersen Library and are unfamiliar with campus or with our location on the West Bank, please contact a staff member for assistance.

The following directions provide clear maps with driving directions.

Small deliveries and passenger drop off

Map with arrow showing directions to get to Elmer L. Andersen north entrance.
Map of driving directions to Elmer L. Andersen Library

Andersen Library is located on the northern edge of the University of Minnesota’s West Bank. Use these directions to drop off guests at the north entrance or to deliver small shipments to Andersen’s garage. For packages, use the phone just inside the door next to the garage to gain admission to our secure area. See our parking page for directions to nearby parking options. The building address is 222 21st Ave S.

Coming from the West via Eastbound I‐94:

• 1. Take I-35W North (left lane exit) after exiting the Lowry Hill tunnel.
  • 2. Stay in the right lane and take the U of M West Bank exit, exit 17C.
  • 3. Follow the signs to U of M West Bank. Turn right on Washington Ave S.
  • 4. At the first traffic light, Washington Ave S. and 15th Ave S, turn left to stay on Washington Ave S. (Landmark at this turn is Town Hall Brewery.)
  • 5. Continue straight as you cross 19th Ave (you are now on 2nd St. S.) and follow the bend past the Law School and parking lot C-86.
  • 6. At the T intersection, turn right and go up the hill. As you near the top of the hill and continue on the bend, Andersen Library will be on your left. It is a large red brick building.

Coming from the East via Westbound I-94:

• 1. Exit I-94 at Riverside Ave, just after crossing the Mississippi River.
  • 2. Turn right on Riverside Ave.
  • 3. Turn right on 19th Ave S.
  • 4. Turn right on 2nd St S and follow the bend past the Law School and parking lot C-86.
  • 5. At the T intersection, turn right and go up the hill. As you near the top of the hill and continue on the bend, Andersen Library will be on your left. It is a large red brick building.

Coming from the South via Northbound I-35W:

• 1. Stay in the right lane and take the U of M West Bank exit, exit 17C.
  • 2. Follow the signs to U of M West Bank. Turn right on Washington Ave S.
  • 3. At the first traffic light, Washington Ave S. and 15th Ave S, turn left to stay on Washington Ave S. (Landmark at this turn is Town Hall Brewery.)
  • 4. Continue straight as you cross 19th Ave (you are now on 2nd St. S.) and follow the bend past the Law School and parking lot C-86.

Coming from the North via Southbound I-35W:

• 1. Exit I-35W at Washington Ave S., exit 17C.
  • 2. Turn left on Washington Ave S. and cross back over the interstate.
  • 3. At the second traffic light, Washington Ave S. and 15th Ave S, turn left to stay on Washington Ave S. (Landmark at this turn is Town Hall Brewery.)

Back to top

Deliveries to the Andersen Library caverns

Map showing directions to Andersen Library caverns drop off.

Use these directions when you have been instructed to deliver a large shipment to the storage cavern below Andersen Library, particularly those requiring a pallet jack to move. Deliveries are accepted 7am-4pm, Monday through Friday. Smaller shipments can use the above directions to our north entrance. The cavern address is 222 22nd Ave S.

Coming from the West via Eastbound I-94:

• 1. Take the I-35W North (left lane exit) after exiting the Lowry Hill tunnel.
  • 3. Follow the signs to the U of M West Bank. Turn right on Washington Ave S.
  • 5. Turn left onto 19th Ave S.
  • 6. Turn left onto 2nd St S.
  • 7. 2nd St S will loop around some apartments and underneath 19th Ave S, becoming first 14th Ave S, then 1st St S, and lastly 22nd Ave S. Continue along this road until you are almost at West River Parkway. There will be a driveway on the right with a sign marking the Andersen Library/MLAC Service Dock. Pull forward into the driveway and call the numbers listed at the entrance. Note that there is enough room instead the building for a full size semi to turn around.

• 2. Turn right onto Riverside Ave.
  • 3. Turn right onto 19th ave S.
  • 4. Go to step #6 above.

• 2. Follow the signs to the U of M West Bank. Turn right on Washington Ave S.
  • 3. At the first traffic light, Washington Ave S. and 15th Ave S., turn left to stay on Washington Ave S. (Landmark at this turn is Town Hall Brewery.)
  • 4. Go to step #5 above.

• 1. Exit I-35W at Washington Ave S. exit 17C.
  • 3. At the second stop light, Washington Ave S. and 15th Ave S, turn left to stay on Washington Ave S. (Landmark at this turn is Town Hall Brewery.)
  • 4. Go to step #5 above.

Back to top