If you have YMCA of the USA records to transfer, or the papers of a national-level YMCA leader to donate, please don't hesitate to contact us. Please note that the Kautz Family YMCA Archives collects primarily records related to the national level of the organization.
For records of local YMCAs, please see the suggestions on our First Steps page or download a PDF of our brochure on preserving the records of local YMCAs. We also have extensive resources for local Ys available through the kit created for the Y History Project
1) Contact the Archives:
IMPORTANT: Please contact us to let us know you are planning to send material.
2) Select Material to Send:
3) Pack and Ship:
- Review our list of organizing "do's" and "don't's".
- For Electronic/Digital Files:
- Review the Guide for Donors of Electronic Records
- If possible, ensure folder and file names are somewhat descriptive
- Complete and submit an electronic records transfer form
- If files will be sent on removable media (flash drive, external hard drive, disks, etc.), pack securely in a padded envelope or a box.
- For Non-Digital Files
- Please keep any labeling information that identifies the material, such as folders, with the material.
- Use sturdy boxes, and do not overstuff. Reinforce with packing tape if necessary. The metal hooks on hanging file folders can poke through or tear boxes.
- Avoid using boxes larger than a standard records storage carton.
- Complete and enclose copy of the records transfer form in each box
- Ship boxed material to:
Kautz Family YMCA Archives
318 Andersen Library
222 21st Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55455
- For online transfer options (for electronic/digital files), contact the Archives
If you have any questions these procedures, identifying appropriate material to transfer to the archives, or other issues, please contact the Archives staff at 612.625.3445 or e-mail email@example.com