This policy applies to use of University Libraries public spaces.
All use of University Libraries facilities must be consistent with:
- the University of Minnesota’s Board of Regents Policy: Property and Facility Use,
- the University of Minnesota’s Administrative Policy: Use and Lease of Real Estate, and
- the mission and primary purpose of the University and the Libraries.
Use of University Libraries facilities by other University departments is only permitted if the activity furthers the mission of the Libraries and University. Use of University Libraries facilities by non-University entities is only permitted if a substantial collaboration exists between the Libraries and the non-University entity that furthers the academic mission of the Libraries and University.
With respect to the use of Libraries’ rooms and public spaces for events and academic activities, the University of Minnesota respects individuals’ freedom of speech under the U.S. and Minnesota Constitutions. The University community is asked to be tolerant of differing points of view and respect the rights of others to express themselves. Expression that is disruptive to operations or infringes on the rights of others, however, is not acceptable nor permitted in University Libraries facilities. Disruptive behavior includes, but is not limited to:
- interfering with freedom of movement through the building,
- using sound amplification without authorization,
- making or causing noise that disturbs normal building activity or infringes on the rights of other individuals,
- selling products or services without authorization,
- engaging in solicitation activities, including distributing free products or handouts, requesting donations, recruiting members, or engaging in other unwelcomed solicitation of others, and
- all expectations of Library users found in the Library Use policy.
Non-University Libraries’ solicitations, postings, and banners are not permitted in Libraries public spaces.
Non-Libraries requests for use
All requests for use of Libraries meeting rooms, training rooms, and public spaces by groups or individuals not affiliated with the Libraries are to be reviewed by the University Librarian or delegate, as specified in each room’s policies and procedures. Contact the Libraries to request use of a Libraries space, or to receive detailed room policies.