Media services for instruction
Library Media Services provides the University community with support for media creation and commercial media resources, with emphasis on course integrated, multimodal scholarship, and creative expression contexts.
About Library Media Services
- instructor support for developing students media assignments,
- direct student media support through classroom and site based media labs for creating media projects,
- coordinating access to commercial media resources for course use,
- consulting on low barrier multimodal scholarship (e.g., video abstracts) and
- providing guidance and access to tools for those interested in creating media for personal creative expression (e.g., podcasting and still photography).
Support includes access to
- specialized equipment,
- media capture spaces, and
- individualized professional media creation consultation.
These services are open to all campus affiliates. Course integrated student media creation support may be prioritized during times of high demand.
Contact Scott Spicer (firstname.lastname@example.org) for
- consultation on developing and coordinating support for course integrated media assignments,
- questions related to multimodal scholarship, or
- access to commercial media resources for course use.
Request a consultation
Media Services works with instructors and students to optimize subject knowledge acquisition, authentic learning experiences, critical thinking and media literacy skill set development through course integrated assignments.
Library Media Services provides comprehensive course support for the integration of media assignments into teaching and direct support of student media projects
Transforming concepts of media literacy into pedagogical practice can be a major challenge. This guide explains the Media Services program vision for approaches to teaching media literacy.
This online gallery highlights a diversity of student created projects that Library Media Services has supported over the years. More in-depth description of each project can be found on secondary pages.
We provide instructors with access to instructional media that help illustrate or supplement course concepts. Find resources for media assignments including digital videos, digital images and more.
This is a guide of university licensed and freely available quality digital (mostly streaming) video online resources.
A guide to finding quality image collections listed by subject. These resources include local collections, licensed content, and select open online collections of images.
The University of Minnesota provides free stock images, video clips, and audio clips to students, faculty, and staff as well as vendors working on University projects.
The 1:Button Studios are fully automated HD video recording spaces with professional studio lighting and sound equipment. They are set up to record high-quality video projects without any knowledge of lights and cameras.
Media services staff
Media Outreach Librarian
Academic Technologist and VR Program Lead