Interlibrary Loan and Digital Delivery
We offer access to materials needed for course work and scholarly research, including materials not currently available within the University of Minnesota Libraries, and digital copies of articles and book chapters from our print and microform collections.
Manage my requests
Create a request
Request a title using a blank formArticle Book Book chapter Thesis Other
Search for a title to place the request
Other types of requests
(for those in the Law School)
The Libraries will review requests to purchase materials for the collection.
Digital Library Services will digitize materials from our collections including content in Archives & Special Collections for anyone. Fees will apply.
Back to top
Interlibrary Loan (ILL) & Digital Delivery offers access to materials needed for course work and scholarly research, including:
- materials not currently available within the University of Minnesota Libraries,
- and digital copies of articles and book chapters from our print and microform collections.
These services are free for currently-affiliated University students, faculty, and staff.
UBorrow searches 15+ major research libraries (Big Ten Academic Alliance institutions). UBorrow is a great way to search for books and media (CDs, DVDs and even LPs!).
Requested materials usually arrive within 1 week and can be borrowed for 16 weeks with one 4-week renewal (they are not recalled except under unusual circumstances). Media items may have a shorter loan period.
The service is offered by the member institutions of the BTAA, which is comprised of the universities of the Big Ten Conference as well as the University of Chicago. Materials from the Center for Research Libraries (CRL) may also be requested.
Back to top
Contact Interlibrary Loan & Digital Delivery staff for inquiries on requests, overdue items, lost books, incorrect items received, and other request issues.
To ensure that your correspondence is answered promptly, please direct all questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
65L Wilson library
309 19th Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55455
Back to top
Interlibrary Loan (ILL) & Digital Delivery offers free access to materials needed for course work and scholarly research that are not currently available within the University of Minnesota Libraries and digital copies of articles and book chapters from our print and microform collections.
Who may use Interlibrary Loan and Digital Delivery
Available to students, staff, and faculty of the University of Minnesota Twin Cities campus, as well as Extension, Research and Outreach Centers, and Itasca or Hormel Institutes with active borrowing privileges.
Friends of the Library and Special Privilege Card holders are not eligible for the university’s interlibrary loan services but may request materials through their local public library.
University of Minnesota Law School affiliates should use the Law Library's Interlibrary Loan & Scan on Demand service.
Most materials are available with no charge. If a fee is required, you will be contacted for approval before the material is ordered.
Interlibrary Loan material due dates
The due dates of ILL items are determined by the lending libraries and indicated on the book strip attached to the front of the material. If an item becomes 28 days overdue, your ILL account will be blocked and you will not be able to submit additional requests until the item is returned. You might be billed for the replacement of items if they are not returned. The cost of replacement is determined by the lending library.
- Primarily books, dissertations, government publications, and photocopies of articles. Current periodicals or newspapers, rare books, new books, videos, and recordings may be unavailable.
- Interlibrary Loan will attempt to borrow textbooks. If a textbook arrives from a Big Ten Library, it may be borrowed for 16 weeks with at least a 4-week renewal. Other libraries may only lend for 4 to 6 weeks.
- If a title is renewable, a “Request Renewal” button is listed next to the item in your ILLiad account (after submitting the request, check the new due date). If the renew request is denied, we will contact you with the new due date assigned by the lending library.
Digital Delivery policies
- The service will scan a small portion, article or chapter from print material, microfilm and fiche held within our collection.
- If an item is not found on the shelf, the request will be filled through Interlibrary Loan, who will obtain the item from another library (typically within 1-3 days).
- Books on reserve for classes are not available for digitization.
- The University of Minnesota Libraries reserves the right to cancel requests in some circumstances, such as a request exceeding 75 pages, or other requests that may put undue strain on resources. We will contact you if we are unable to fulfill your request.
Other document scanning services
- The Libraries also has a Fee-Based Digital Delivery service that will create high-quality digitization of materials from our collections for both University affiliates and non-affiliates. This service will digitize archival materials, photographs, maps, audio, video, and more. All of these requests are managed by Digital Library Services staff in conjunction with the curator of the particular Libraries’ collection.
- University of Minnesota Law School affiliates should use the Law Library’s Scan on Demand service.
- Non-University fee-based document services:
Time until requests arrive
- Books: average 3 to 10 days
- Articles and book chapters: average 1 to 3 days
Length of time varies depending on availability, shipping, and other factors. Please request materials with ample time before your deadline.
Sign into your ILL account under Manage my requests or contact the Interlibrary Loan office to find the status of your request.
All notices and messages are sent via email. You will be notified via email when articles are available for download within your ILL account.
On campus pick up locations
Campus office delivery
Campus office delivery is available for faculty and staff only.
For Extension, Research and Outreach Centers, Itasca*, and Hormel Institute:
- Items will be sent with pre-paid UPS return label and shipped at no charge.
- We will contact patrons to confirm the shipping address for any off-TC campus addresses.
Off campus delivery
Off campus delivery is available upon request to addresses within the domestic United States.
Materials sent to University of Minnesota Extension, Research and Outreach Centers, Itasca*, and Hormel Institute will be sent with pre-paid UPS return label.
*Itasca Biological Station and Laboratories researches please enter a note for each request indicating that they are currently located at the Itasca Biological Station.
Damaged or lost materials
For damaged or lost materials, please notify the Interlibrary Loan office immediately.
Return long overdue materials to avoid replacement fees.
Things to consider:
- Lending libraries might accept a new, same edition copy.
- When an item is 30 days overdue, the system will automatically add a $100 replacement fee and and a $15.00 processing fee.
Back to top
Back to top
Important copyright information
WARNING CONCERNING COPYRIGHT RESTRICTIONS
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted materials.
Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a photocopy or other reproduction. One of these specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research". If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use", that user may be liable for copyright infringement.
This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Back to top