The SMART Learning Commons employs undergraduate students in a variety of positions. We support our employees both as students and as professionals by connecting training and job experiences to the University's Student Learning Outcomes and Student Development Outcomes. Paid and volunteer positions are both available. Some paid positions require work study eligibility, others may use work study awards but do not require them.
Peer-Assisted Learning Facilitators
Peer-Assisted Learning (PAL) facilitators are undergraduates who lead group learning sessions for challenging undergraduate courses. PAL facilitators are supervised by the PAL Program Director.
- Hiring Spring '19 facilitator - BIOL 1009
- Learn more and APPLY HERE.
Peer Tutors - Now Hiring for Spring 2019!
Peer Tutors are undergraduates who provide academic tutoring for University of Minnesota students in math, chemistry, writing, physics, computer science, and more. Peer Tutors are supervised by the Individual Learning Services Coordinator.
- The priority application deadline for Spring 2019 vacancies is Monday, November 12th at 8AM.
- Applications are accepted on a rolling basis and kept on file in the event of an unanticipated vacancy.
- Learn more and APPLY HERE.
Peer Research Consultants - Now Hiring!
Peer Research Consultants are trained to provide one-on-one research assistance to undergrad students.
- Work one-on-one with undergraduate students to support their library research.
- Applicants must be undergraduate students currently enrolled at UMN, and achieved a B or better at WRIT 1301 or 1401 (or equivalent).
- $10.65/hr initial pay. Approximately 10 hours per week.
- Please contact Andrew Palahniuk, firstname.lastname@example.org, if you are interested.
Student Media Consultant (no current openings)
We are not currently seeking job applicants, but if you would like to place your information on file for future possible job opportunities, feel free to send your resume to Charlie Heinz, Media Services Site Manager, email@example.com.
Student Media Consultants run the day-to-day operations of the Media Services and Information service desks at Walter, Wilson and Magrath Libraries. We process incoming media equipment and film reservations, circulate equipment and films, answer questions about how to record audio and video, troubleshoot technology, and answer general questions about the SMART Learning Commons. Pay rate is $10.15/hour. Students with Work Study are preferred.Successful candidates enjoy helping people, are eager to learn, and are reliable and responsible for their assigned shifts. See position description for more information.
Cover Letters and Resume Writing Assistance:
SMART Hours & Locations
Looking for group study space?
Rooms in SMART's Walter and Magrath locations can be reserved for two-hour blocks up to two weeks in advance.