Student Employment in the SMART Learning Commons
The SMART Learning Commons employs large numbers of undergraduate students in a wide variety of positions. We support our employees both as students and as professionals in training by connecting training and job experiences to the University's Student Learning Outcomes and Student Development Outcomes. Paid and volunteer positions are both available. Some paid positions require work study eligibility, others may use work study awards but do not require them. See individual postings for details.
Peer-Assisted Learning Facilitator
Current opening for PAL facilitators: CSCI 2021 (updated 1/23/18)
PAL Facilitators are undergraduates who lead group learning sessions for challenging undergraduate courses.
PAL facilitators are supervised by the PAL Program Director.
Peer Learning Consultant (Peer Tutor)
- Peer Learning Consultants (PLCs) provide academic tutoring for University of Minnesota students in math, chemistry, writing, physics, and more.
Learn more about becoming a PLC.
PLCs are supervised by the Individual Learning Services Coordinator.
Peer Research Consultant
- No current openings
Peer Research Consultants are trained to provide one on one research assistance to first year students.
Supervised by Andrew Palahniuk.
Student Media Consultant - SMART Learning Commons
No current openings (updated 2017-09-14)
- This is a shared position between Libraries and the Office of Undergraduate Education Starting rate is $10.00/hour.
- Students with work study preferred.
- Job duties include video equipment circulation, managing reservations, checking students in and out of the tutoring center, assist patrons with technology troubleshooting questions, and projects as needed.
- Seeking 1 or 2 qualified students who have some availability to offer for Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday 10am-3pm.
- See Position Description for details and qualifications.
For assistance in writing cover letters and resumes:
SMART Hours & Locations
Looking for group study space?
Rooms in SMART's Walter and Magrath locations can be reserved for two-hour blocks up to two weeks in advance.