The Tretter Transgender Oral History Project is part of the Jean-Nickolaus Tretter Collection in GLBT Studies at the University of Minnesota Libraries. Transgender voices and experiences are often missing in contemporary documentation and the historic record. The goal of this Project is to empower individuals to tell their story, while providing students, historians, and the public with a richer foundation of primary source material about the Transgender community. Materials are housed within the Tretter Collection.
Phase 1 of this Project (2015-2018) focused on documenting the experience of transgender and gender queer people in the Upper Midwest. Oral Historian Andrea Jenkins conducted 200 interviews covering identity, family, love and experiences. These oral histories are posted online. There is also an online exhibit about Phase 1.
Phase 2 of the Project (late 2018-2020) will shift focus. Given the focus on transgender issues, both locally and nationally, Phase 2 will examine community organizing, policy development and political activism around the country.
For more information about the project, please contact the Tretter Collection at 612-624-7526 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Publications about the Tretter Transgender Oral History Project
- Documenting Subjugated Knowledges: Two Trans Oral History Archives (New York City Trans Oral History Project and The Tretter Transgender Oral History Project), by Liam Oliver Lair, The Oral History Review, July 2019
- 5 Questions About: the Tretter Transgender Oral History Project, The Oral History Review, August 2019
- For two years, this VCU professor will travel the U.S. to conduct oral histories of the trans community’s struggle for justice, VCU News, April 10, 2019
- The Tretter Transgender Oral History Project Access Minnesota Television, December, 2017
- Narrating a Transition Continuum Magazine, October 3, 2017
- U of MN's Transgender Oral History Project Releases First Round of Interviews The Column, January 4, 2017
- University Oral History Project Highlights Diversity in Transgender Community St. Paul Pioneer Press, December 16, 2016
- U of M's Transgender Oral History Project Collects One Life Story at a Time MinnPost, December 2, 2016
- Andrea Jenkins Archives LGBTQ Stories for the Ages City Pages, June 24, 2015
- Transgender Pride Minnesota Public Radio, June 12, 2015
- Building An Archive of Transgender History Southwest Journal, May 5, 2015
- Former Minneapolis Council Aide Brings Transgender Issues to the Forefront StarTribune, April 27, 2015
- Trans Advocate Aids U Libraries Minnesota Daily, April 21, 2015
- Pritzker's Foundation Funds Trans Oral History Project Windy City Times, February 22, 2015
- Transgender History Project at the U of M Access Minnesota Radio, February 2015
- Grant Will Help Gather Transgender Experiences Minnesota Daily, October 15, 2014
- U Libraries Receives Major Multi-Year Grant For Transgender Oral History Project Continuum, October 9, 2014
The Transgender Oral History Project is funded in large part by a grant from Tawani Foundation. The project has also received support from a Headwaters Foundation for Justice Community Innovation Grant, and from individual donors.
~Want to make a financial contribution to the Tretter Collection? Donate online today!~