Available at all University Libraries to support teaching, learning and research. Current University of Minnesota --Twin Cities students, faculty, and staff have unlimited access to these computers. Visitors to the University Libraries have a variety of potential access options. All users must agree to abide by University Libraries' policies.
A one-stop resource for students needing research, technology, or writing help. Special software available at:
- West Bank - Wilson Library, Basement Level
- East Bank - Walter Library, Room 204
The Office of Information and Technology has general purpose computer labs across the Twin Cities and St. Paul campuses.
Wireless access is available at all University Libraries via the University’s network. See OIT wireless overview for guidelines, set-up information, and technical standards.
Printing & photocopying
All University Libraries offer multifunctional devices that accommodate printing, photocopying and scanning in both black & white and color.
- Black-and-white prints and copies are $0.10 per exposure ($0.20 double-sided)
- Color prints and copies are $0.50 per exposure ($1.00 double-sided)
Printing from a library workstation
- Add value to your card at a Cash-to-Gopher GOLD station
- Print your document and enter a job name and ID when prompted to identify your job
- Go to the print/copy/scan station or UniPrint release station -- staff can assist you in locating them
- Swipe your card through the card reader at the print/copy/scan station or on the keyboard at the Uniprint release station
- Select your print job from the queue that appears on the screen. (The cost to release the job will also appear.) Click Print to accept, and then Log Out
Printing from your laptop
Install a print driver to print from your laptop to any University Library print/copy/scan station.
- At a print/copy/scan station, click the "Print release" icon
- Click Copy and adjust settings, if necessary
- Place item on glass and press OK to copy
Adding value to your U Card
Don't have a U Card? Buy a re-usable, empty Gopher GOLD card at any Cash-to-Gopher GOLD Stations for $1.00. Then add value to the card to begin printing and copying. Adding value to your card is simple, using any of the following options:
Other printing and photocopying services
Scanning & digitization
All of the Libraries offer multifunctional devices that accommodate printing, photocopying and scanning. Scanning is free, though a U Card or Gopher GOLD card is needed to release the device's lock screen. If you don't have a card and need assistance, staff are available to help. Scans may be emailed or saved to a flash drive -- use the screen on the print/copy/scan station to set the scanning and saving functionality you prefer to use.
Additional types of scanners can be found in these locations:
- SMART Learning Commons
- Borchert Map Library
- Health Sciences Library
- Natural Resources Library
- Veterinary Medical Library
With these machines, you can view microfilm or microfiche and also:
- Email images
- Save images to a USB flash memory drive
- Burn images to a CD or DVD
- Print images (cost is 10 cents per exposure)
Library staff are available to assist with the use of these machines.
Archival scanning & digitization
The Libraries' Digital Library Services provides reliable and trustworthy digitization services to the University community and researchers using University materials across the globe. The DLS strives to provide the best quality and most sustainable digital surrogates possible at a reasonable cost.