The U libraries are a really large library system with over 12 libraries. Sure, we have a lot of books (over 8 million of them) but we have lots more for your research and discovery. Below is just a sample. Contact us if you don't see something you are expecting, needing or hoping to see. Remember Gold Book also has lots of additional campus resources.
Resources to get you started
- Welcome to the University of Minnesota Libraries (video)
- Looking for textbooks and course readings? We work with many of your professors to provide you with low-cost or no cost course readings. We may also have your textbooks. You can check to see if we have your textbook or course readings. We are trying to save you money on textbooks too.
- Need a distraction free place to study? Or a group study space? Or coffee? Try our Libraries study spaces and coffee shops (Wise Owl in Walter Library and Academic Blend in Wilson Library). We have computers, printing and wireless printing from your laptop.
- Tip: Walter, Bio-Med and Wilson are open 24/7 before and during finals.
Getting started with research
- Enter your due dates into the Assignment Calculator to get the steps of the research and writing process for a paper, video, speech, and more.
- If you are new to the University Libraries or academic research, try our Intro to Library Research tutorial. We also offer more online tutorials .
Do you need articles? Scholarly articles?
- We have hundreds of article databases. Databases are like search engines for articles. Try your Library Course Pages which lists the best databases for your courses. We also have an Databases A-Z list or a list by subject.
Do you need books? Ebooks?
- Search MnCAT Discovery on the homepage to search for books.
- Your U Card is your library card and you can check books, DVDs, etc. out for free. Undergraduate students can generally check out materials for 13 weeks (and they auto renew for up to 6 months!). You can check out an unlimited number of books at a time.
- We don’t have all articles or books--if you find something you need and we don’t have it, we can usually get it through our free Interlibrary Loan service.
Citing Sources (e.g. APA, MLA, etc.)
- Want to learn more about Citations? Try our Citation Guides.
- Our citation management tools can help you to organize your PDFs, then insert the correct in-text citation and automatically create your bibliography.
Fun in the Libraries?!?
- Science Quiz Bowl
- Check out our fun Finals Stress Busting study breaks
- Need a fun book to read? Try our book matchmaking service.
- Libraries exhibits and events
- Awesome Archives like the Sherlock Holmes Collection or Children's Literature Research Collection (with comic books) just to name a few.
Please contact Kate Peterson (firstname.lastname@example.org, 612-626-3746), Undergraduate Services Librarian, with any questions.